The Q&A Archives: My Bougainvillea

Question: My red bougainvillea was beautiful just a week ago. Now all of a sudden it's losing all of its blooms. Do you think it is getting to much water? It's in full sun, but there's a small drip to it that goes off every day. It has been 104 here this week. Please help!!!

Answer: Bougainvilleas grow and bloom on a pre-determined cycle. Usually it's a 6-week cycle where the plants will grow, flower, and then rest. When they have finished resting they will grow a bloom again. In your climate this will be nearly all year long. If your plant is dropping flowers, it's probably just going through a normal cycle. Bougainvillea grow best in full sunshine and like moist but well draining soils. Make sure the soil dries out a bit before watering - soggy soils can cause root rot. Instead of daily watering, try watering deeply once or twice each week - even in the heat. Best wishes with your garden!