The Q&A Archives: What would you recommend

Question: I just had a new landscape design in the front of my small home.
There are 3 taunton yews near the back wall.
A bench that is in the center/and a place for 2 garden urn about
10-12 inches in front to the sides of the bench.
2 knockout roses were planted to each side, with 4 boxwoods also
on each side of the bench.
There is a small section to plant whatever I may want--approx.36 inches wide by 26 inches. The area to be planted is in front of the
roses. The boxwoods are to the side.
I would like to know what you would plant in the section in front of
the roses,and also in the urns. The urns are about 19 inches, and I
am not sure how wide. Maybe a foot or more?
Please give me your ideas.
In the back, we use pinks, purples, yellow, white, and a splash of
some red. The knockout rose in radko. They call it a cherry red, but
it looks more like a pink when in bloom.
I appreciate it!!!! (I love color!)

Answer: Your landscape sounds lovely! Since you love color, why not plant the 2 X 3 foot area with colorful annuals? You can even change the annuals 2-3 times a year to go with the season. For instance, for bright summer color you might plant petunias, gaillardia, and salvia; for fall color remove these and plant chrysanthemums and pansies; for winter color, ornamental cabbage and snapdragons. Your choices are only as limited as your imagination and the best way to start is to become familiar with the annuals section of your favorite local nursery. When new stock arrives you'll know it's time to choose new annuals for the upcoming season. I'd plant the urns, too. My first choice would be some ornamental grasses. They'll grow tall and rustle in the wind, adding still another element to your lovely garden. Best wishes with your landscape!