The Q&A Archives: about cecile brunner climbing rose

Question: I recently purchased 2 Monrovia Cecile Brunner climbing roses and we are building cedar trellises to attach to our deck + pergola. How long will it take them to grow the 8 ft to the pergola and beyond, and should I only plant 1 per 3-ft. trellis? Will these get huge like the heirloom ones and do I have an

Answer: The Polyantha Cecile Brunner will grow 8-20' tall and 3-6' wide and is one of the most disease resistant roses so you've made a good choice. Once established they are fast-growing so I would plant only one per trellis and expect them to cover it within 3 years. These plants are grown from cuttings so they are on their own rootstock. Grafted roses are grafted onto vigorous root stock; own root roses are those with naturally vigorous rootstocks. The only difference a rootstock will make is in the cold hardiness of a plant. Yours will be quite hardy all on their own.

The lattice style doesn't matter - your rose will bloom on both sides if the stems protrude through the openings. I'd mulch over the root system to help moderate soil temperatures and slow water evaporation.

Enjoy your roses!