The Q&A Archives: Orange Meadowbrite Coneflower

Question: I purchased an Orange Meadowbrite Coneflower in September of 2005. It blossomed beautifully through September and October.

This spring it started slow and still is only about 5 inches high.

Any suggestions? I hate to lose it, but I have been told by a master gardener in the area that it is a very

Answer: In my experience this is a plant that really does best in a well drained soil and prefers full sun and hot summer weather -- especially when it is planted in northern climates such as yours. If you have heavy soil, or it is planted in a spot that is not terribly well drained, it seems to be slower to start in the spring because the soil there is naturally colder longer. Do not be tempted to overfertilize it to try to make it grow faster, this is a plant that does well in a relatively lean soil. Spring was such an odd one, this year, too. I think patience is probably the best thing to do, hard as it is.