The Q&A Archives: Japanese beetles

Question: I have noticed Japanese beetles and small black bugs in my flower garden. Is there any non-chemical solution to this problem? Things like soapy water or insecticidal soap etc. I would like to stay as organic as possible.

Answer: Japanese beetles are truly difficult to control. The pheromone lure traps seem to attract as many as they catch. Handpicking in the evening or early morning when they are sluggish can help. Some gardeners report success using sprays containing Neem oil as a repellent for the Japanese beetles. Without knowing more specifically what the other insect is, it is difficult to suggest a control. If you want to try a soap, I recommend a commercially formulated insecticidal soap. Be sure to read the label directions on both products and test spray on just a few leaves before spraying the entire plant.