The Q&A Archives: nandina question

Question: Can you tell me the differences in

Answer: While nandina does not spread like a running bamboo, it does tend to colonize an area over time by send up new shoots from the roots. I'd plant them five feet apart expecting that each will spread to about 30 inches and you'll want some space between for good air circulation between the plants. Here are the descriptions:

Nandina domestica 'Harbour Dwarf' is a popular dwarf sized Nandina growing only 2 feet tall. Nandina domestica 'Harbour Dwarf' has been known to be used as a groundcover due to its growth through underground rhizomes. Good fall and winter orange-red to bronzy-red color.

Hardiness: 6-11
Plant Use: Shrub
Exposure: Full Sun to Partial Sun
Water Requirements: Medium

Nandina domestica 'Jaytee' is the Harbor Belle? Nandina . This exciting new dwarf Nandina features rich deep green and burgundy color, accented by clusters of bright red berries. Luxuriant spring foliage stands out in any landscape with multi-colored hues of pink. Maintanance free, Harbor Belle ? grows rapidly in sun or shade, keeps compact, spreading form, and requires no pruning. Versatile as a ground cover or indvidual specimen, Harbor Belle ? will add dependable performance, variety and color to any landscape.

Hardiness: Zones 6-11
Plant Use: Shrub
Exposure: Sun to Shade
Water Requirements: Medium