The Q&A Archives: Caring For My Honeysuckle

Question: I planted a honeysuckle bush last year in my garden and in spring it came up looking absolutely beautiful. I even had some hummingbirds enjoying the blooms! Then about 2 weeks ago I went out and noticed huge masses of something black invading it. The flowers and the leaves looked absolutely awful. What can I do? I've sprayed it with

Answer: Without knowing exactly what pest you're dealing with, it's difficult to suggest a remedy. Masses of something black might very well be black bean aphids. If so, you can control them with sprays of Insecticidal Soap. Why not take a few leaves with the insects attached to your local nursery (in a sealed plastic bag!) for them to identify? They can suggest appropriate control measures. I'd avoid using Sevin on any plant that's in bloom - it will kill off beneficial insects such as honey bees. Best wishes with your honeysuckle.