The Q&A Archives: Roses Are Budding In February

Question: My roses are shooting buds and leaves. If we get a killing<br>frost in February will it kill them, and is there anything I should do to protect them?

Answer: My roses (and many other plants in the garden) are doing the same thing .... darn that El Nino!! There really isn't much you can do to protect them. The buds can only develop to the point that Mother Nature allows them to, meaning, if it doesn't stay consistently warm they should not develop much further. Last year, my climbing rose started budding early, and sure enough, we had a cold snap that killed the new buds. When the weather got consistently warm in the spring, I trimmed out the burned areas and new growth appeared. My bloom wasn't reduced by much at all, maybe 10%.