The Q&A Archives: Sweet Broom (Cytisus Spachianus)

Question: Hello I have 5 sweet broom plants that have been planted for several months and seem well established and have grow in size ,My Question is all of a sudden one has started turning yellow and has a slightly white hue now,this seems to of happend over night Can you please Tell me what i might be able to do and why this might be happening, All five of the plants are in the same area and all get the same watering. Thank You

Answer: Carrie,

It could be due to a number of things. A sudden increase in heat may be stressing the plants. While only one is affected this could be because other factors are creating a different environment for that plant. Lack of water is stressful but excess soil moistures is even more damaging when combined with heat. Sometimes the planting hole in a clay soil can become an underground bathtub holding water for an extended period of time. One plant's planting hole may be different in this regard. Other possible causes include damage from a herbicide used nearby such as a weed and feed turf product, root rots which can affect one plant but perhaps not (yet?) the others.

There is little you can do about these things except to try and maintain even moisture but especially avoid overwatering. .