The Q&A Archives: How to Revive a newly planted Red Maple

Question: I planted a Red Maple 2 months ago. All the leaves turned brown and crumbly in a few days. 3 weeks ago the leaves started to turn green and lush again only to starting turning brown and crumbly again this week. WHAT can I do?

Answer: It sounds as though your maple tree went through some transplant shock when you first installed it. When the second flush of leaves appeared, it would indicate your tree was getting over the stress and trying to grow. Dropping the second flush of leaves is not a good sign; the soil is not draining fast enough, you're over-watering, or the maple is getting too much hot afternoon sunshine. Make sure you allow the top inch of soil to dry before watering thoroughly. One deep soaking per week is all your tree should require. Now that you know the growing preferences of your maple, you can take corrective measures. Hopefully it will recover and grow beautifully for you!