The Q&A Archives: Non-Blooming Trumpet Creeper

Question: I have a Trumpet Creeper and it is growing wonderfully but it isn't blooming. Why?

Answer: Trumpet creeper flowers on new shoots, so to encourage lots of blooms, you'll need to prune it on an annual basis. I'd also recommend not fertilizing your trumpet creeper. Nitrogen encourages lush, green growth, sometimes at the expense of flowers. So, hold off on the fertilizer for at least a season to see if that makes a difference in flowering. In late winter or early spring, cut back the side shoots to a few buds, and thin out overcrowded shoots. This should result in lots of flowering wood for next year. Right now you can reduce the length of some of the vines to see if they have time to produce new flowering wood for later in the season. It's worth a try! Best wishes with your garden.