The Q&A Archives: Getting Bougainvillea to flower

Question: I have a large Bougainvillea that grows furiously during the hot summer months but with few or no blossoms. How can I get the plant to blossom?

Answer: Lots of new growth is a good sign - because flowers are produced on new growth. Bougainvilleas are cyclic in their growth and blooming habits. Usually it is a 6-week cycle of growing, blooming, resting, then growing, blooming, resting. I think your plant will bloom again if conditions are right. In the meantime, keep watering regularly and withhold any fertilizer. Nitrogen tends to promote green growth at the expense of blooms. If your plant doesn't bloom within the next 4-6 weeks, you can try pruning it back to force new flowering stems. Best wishes with your landscape!