The Q&A Archives: camellias for the coastline

Question: Hello,

My home is front line to the ocean. I am about 60miles north of San Francisco. I have some wind, mostly in the summer, and a little ocean spray. I am looking for a camellia that I can grow between my house and my neighbor. This will be on the south/east side of the property with slightly filtered sun. I have a Japanese feeling garden and would like something simple looking like Survivor. Can you make a suggestion. There are also deer in my area, but so far they have stayed away from my shaded north side where I have camellias now.
Thank you, I look forward to your reply

Answer: 'Survivor' camellia is one of the hardiest so I think it will grow well in the site you describe - especially if you have other camellias in your landscape. Deer typically do not bother camellias; perhaps their leaves are stiff and unappetizing.

Best wishes with your landscape!