Question: I just bought and planted two Monrovia skyrocket junipers. What should I expect for growth on these annualy? 2. I want to plant a row of shrubs in the back yard for privacy (something more comfortable than just a privacy fence) My yard is very shaded, but where I plant this row, should get full sun from noon on till sun set. What would work for me, I like the column apearence like the skyrocket junipers. rapid height is something I am also looking for.

Answer: Juniperus scopulorum grows at the rate of 6-12 inches a year. Thuja occidentalis 'Pyramidalis' has a medium rate of growth (same as your 'Skyrocket'). Arborvitae (Thuja) can withstand light shading, while the juniper prefers full sun. Thuja has a tall, upright growth habit, remaining 2-3' in diameter but reaching 15-20' in height. Best wishes with your landscape!