The Q&A Archives: Snow In The Summer

Question: I had purchased Snow In The Summer to use as a border plant. Because it has grown so well, I have separated it several times to transplant in other locations. In the early spring through the month of June the foliage is a beautiful light shade of green and during the month of June is beautiful as it blossoms with tiny white flowers. However, once it has finished blooming, the foliage turns a very unattractive yellow. Can you tell me how I need to care for it in order for it to maintain its lovely green foliage after it has ceased to bloom?

Answer: Snow in Summer is an attractive spring and early summer bloomer. When the floweriing stops, shear the plant to encourage new growth. Cut off old flowers and an inch of foliage with bypass pruners. This will keep the plant looking healthy and tidy the rest of the summer. After shearing your plants back you can feed with a water-soluable fertilizer (Miracle-Gro or Peter's) to help it green up again.

Best wishes with your garden!