The Q&A Archives: Screening Plants for a rock gardent

Question: I live in southern Florida and want to as much of a one-way screen as possible. I want to see out from our home onto our lake, but I don't want passersby to see in to our backyard. Planting a rock garding extending from our windows toward the lake with the screening plants such as sea grass or shrubs at the back of the garden should work. What I am asking of you is to identify screening plants or shrubs that you would suggest. Up north I would have used

Answer: Ken,

I'm not sure what you mean by one way screen as plants with either screen visual line of sight or not. Nevertheless some plants to consider for screening include:

Hollywood Juniper (Juniperus chinensis 'Torulosa') - 15 feet high, 10 feet wide. Does particularly well in coastal environment.
Variegated Japanese Mock Orange (Pittosporum tobira 'Variegatum') - 6 to 8 feet tall and wide. Good border, hedge or landscape accent.
Southern wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera) - 12-15 feet. Uses: Specimen plant or screen.
Duranta (Golden-dewdrop)- 12-15 feet. Yellow fruit is poisonous to humans. Uses: Specimen plant, informal hedge.
Wild olive or Florida privet (Forestiera segregata)- 15-20 feet. Hedge plant with good salt, drought, and alkali tolerance. Uses: Specimen plant; informal hedge.
Needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hustrix) - 5-6 feet.