The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing

Question: What type of fertilizer should i use for the Star Jasmine? And how often.
Should the plant be watered the same winter and summer.
I have trouble keeping the plant alive more than a year.

Thank You

Answer: You should use a slow release or water soluble complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 per the label directions, apply it from spring through fall. In winter when growth slows, water less than you do in summer when growth is more vigorous. This is a large plant when grown outdoors, so as a container plant you will need to prune it regularly and pinch the new growth tips to keep its size manageable. Prune it back as hard as needed after the spring bloom flush, then tip prune lightly throughout the year. In winter give it direct sun for at least half the day, in summer give it bright but indirect light or filtered through a sheer curtain. Winter temperatures should be on the cool side, say 50 degrees at night and mid 60's to 70 during the day. I hope this helps.