The Q&A Archives: Why didn't my hibiscus bloom this year?

Question: I purchased 4 hibiscis plants last year, and cut them back for the winter; 3 of the 4 survived. All received severe wind damage from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, as they were newly planted. The 3 surviving plants are extremely healthy, with full green foliage, but I have not seen a bud yet. Other hibisus plants, purchased this season, bloom regularly in the same conditions. Thanks.

Answer: Tropical hibiscus blooms on new shoots and generally take about 3 months of growth after they have been pruned. If it has been longer than that, and if your plants are getting full sunshine and adequate water, they may need to be fed. Try a bloom booster that is high in phosphorous. If it is a water-soluable fertilizer you can use a half-strength dilution and feed every 2 weeks during the summer months. Hope this information helps!