The Q&A Archives: what kind of plant

Question: I am trying to find the name of a plant. It is deep red & grows tall, the flower smells like black pepper & the stalk has a smell like a geranium. It has a sturdy stalk, the petals fall like a jokers cap. There are maybe close to 2 dozen of these hanging from a round center.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain which plant you have. It might be one of many.

Perhaps a Kniphofia of some kind (You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.)

or a Monarda

or an Aquilegia

or a Crocosmia

or a Lobelia

If none of these seem right, you could take a photo of the overall plant and a closeup of the bloom and consult with your local professionally trained nurseryman as well as possibly with your local county extension. I hope this helps.