The Q&A Archives: Zebra Grass - gold bars turning reddish- brown

Question: I purchased and planted a 3 1/2 gallon dwarf zebra grass in May and planted it shortly thereafter. It did beautifully for awhile, but I noticed today (July 10) that on many of the leaves, the yellow bars have turned a reddish-brown color. I'm pretty sure this is not normal. Any idea what might be wrong? What should I do?

Answer: Miscanthus is potentially subject to occasional fungal problems (miscanthus blight or rust) and all the wet weather would be conducive to these developing. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis of the streaks. If it is something that requires a chemical control, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when to use it for maximum results.