The Q&A Archives: spots(roots?) left on the wall when ivy is cut back

Question: is there a product or suggested device that will assist me in removing the unsightly black tiny dots that remain after trimming back the ivy off my house?

Thank you

Answer: There really is no easy way to remove the residual pads left after you've removed ivy from a porous wall. Stucco, brick and concrete can hold onto these pads for a long time. Eventually they will weather away. The best way to avoid this is immediately after removing the ivy use a stiff brush and laundry detergent to remove the pads that hold the ivy to the masonry. If you let them dry they will be nearly impossible to remove without a lot of elbow grease. You can try an all-purpose cleaner but that may change the appearance of the wall. Best wishes with your project!