The Q&A Archives: Petite Snow Crape Myrtle

Question: I would like to spec a short Crape Myrtle to plant in a median. the median is near railroad tracks that only allow for plant material 5'-6' high max. I would like the crape to be taller than the 3' evergreen shrubs around it. Would the Petite Snow Crape Myrtle work well here? There will be some landscape maintenance available to trim if necessary but don't want to have excessive cutting and chopping (as would be required for an Acoma or Natchez Crape Myrtle) Will this variety grow in North Florida and is it available? If not a good selection, could you offer another? It wouldn't have to be white flowers but I am also planing Tuscarora crapes and don't want to clash.

Thank you

Stephanie Smoot, ASLA

Answer: Petite Snow is a dwarf and reaches only 4' tall and 4-6' wide. New Snow is another cultivar you might want to consider, as is Dwarf snow. All are white flowering and all are small enough that they won't require annual pruning. Best wishes with your new tree!