The Q&A Archives: Roses....transplanted in june and it is sad...............

Question: the week before July 1st a friend dug up a Rose (they moved) and gave it to me...not sure what kind of rose it was but just over 2 feet tall and smaller pink flowers...we planted it back into the ground within a couple of hours but 2 days later all the leaves have dried and dropping this plant now a gonner so to speak or anyway of saving it..i know it was not the time of year to uproot and move but no other choice was available or can I prune back the dead branches and try to start again
any help would be great
thanks in advance

Answer: Your rose is probably in shock, but it may recover. Prune it back by about half to compensate for the roots lost during transplanting. Keep the soil slightly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet and never dried out. Use an organic mulch over the root area, apply it in a flat layer about three inches thick. Do not try fertilizing, the watering is more important right now. Hopefully, it will survive. Next spring resume normal pruning and fertilizing. Good luck!