The Q&A Archives: Impatience and Angel Wing Begonia

Question: I have two questions, (1)I have a hanging basket of Impatience. It was looking beautiful,then the stems started turning yellow, and it thinned out. Why did it do this?
(2)I have an Angel Wing Begonia that I took off the front porch to the backyard to trim, and thin out for another planter. I didn't get to it right away and we have had heavy rains almost every day for two weeks. When I went to work with it, it was over flowing with water, the flowers were dead, and the leaves curled up. I thought it might have root rot so when I repotted it, I put it in dry soil, and didn't water it. Its not looking so good. Can it be saved?
Thank You for your help.

Answer: Beverly,

The first plants may have dried out too much. This sets them back and it takes time to fully recover. The soggy plants may now be struggling with root rots brought on by the root death from saturated conditions. Time is the only cure along with making sure the soil is just moist, not dry or soggy. Wait to fertilize either plant until you see the start of new growth and then fertilize sparingly every week.