The Q&A Archives: Hagley Hybrid Clematis

Question: Three weeks ago I planted a Hagley Hybrid was doing
beautifully, with new flowers everyday. Suddenly the petals starting
falling off the flowers. The vine is nearly bare now, however, I do
still see buds on the vines. What have I done wrong? I followed the
planting instructions on the tag that was on the plant when I purchased it...I planted it in a location where it gets morning sun, and I keep mulch at the base well watered...Can you tell me if this
normal for a clematis and if not how I can remedy it....
Thank you in advance for your help....

Answer: Individual clematis flowers last only a short time and then will drop off the plant so what you are seeing may be normal. The foliage should remain on the plant.

If your plant has defoliated, you may be under or over watering it. Correct watering will also help the plant establish and become rooted faster. The soil should be kept damp like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet/saturated and not dried out. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil below the mulch with your finger. If it is still damp, do not water yet. When you do water, apply it directly at the roots and water slowly and thoroughly so it reaches the deepest roots. After watering, wait a few hours and then dig down to see how far the water went -- it can be surprising.

If your plant seems to be suddenly wilted and shriveling, it may be suffering from clematis wilt or transplant shock. Since this is a new plant, I would also suggest you consult with your retailer. Good luck with your clematis!