The Q&A Archives: Lavender Trumpet Vine

Question: About 3 yrs ago I planted two Lavender Trumpet Vines. They are beautiful when they bloom but the problem is that they only bloom once a year in May. I fertilize in the Spring with a all-purpose fertilizer and I water them once a week. Leaves are nice and green but flowers are produced only once. I planted them thinking I was going to get color Spring through Summer.

Answer: What you describe is perfectly normal for Lavender trumpet vine: The large trumpet flowers are four inches long, striped in lavender and purple. When blooming, the vine is engulfed in color for weeks in spring. This vine may produce occasional flowers through the rest of the growing season, but the main bloom season is in early sring.