The Q&A Archives: Trumpet Creeper (Madame Galen)

Question: I purchased a Trumpet Creeper from Culvers Garden Center in Marion, Ia. 2 months ago, and heard this week on the radio that Trumpet Vines are very invasive. Please let me know if the Trumpet Creeper is very invasive. If it is I will need to dispose of it. I intended it for the Hummingbirds.

Thanks for your response.

Answer: Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' is a hybrid between C. radicans and C. grandiflora chinese and is not as aggressive (or cold hardy) as Campsis radicans. Campsis radicans is native to the southeastern and Gulf Coast region of the United States where it grows along fences and at the edge of woodlands. It can be considered invasive because it freely sprouts from underground roots. Your 'Madame Galen' should be well behaved in your garden. Just to make sure, check the ground near your plant for signs of new sprouts. If you find any, pull them up, or dig them up. To further ensure your Campsis won't wander away, you can always line the planting bed, much like you would to contain running bamboo. I don't think this will be necessary, but you certainly could, if you're concerned about it escaping its planting site.