The Q&A Archives: non blooming endless summer hydrangea

Question: My endless summer hydrangea does not have any buds or blooms on it this year. I have had two blooming seasons up to this point. Any thoughts as to what may have happened and suggestions to help me out in the future? Thanks. -Kristin

Answer: It may be that your Endless Summer Hydrangea is not getting the sunshine it requires, or that it hasn't been properly pruned. Endless Summer produces flowers on both old and new wood, so even if it freezes down to the ground each winter, it should produce flowers on the new growth. If your plant does not freeze down during the winter and you do not prune it in early spring to encourage new growth, that may be why it doesn't bloom. Aside from needing at least 4 hours of morning sunshine, adequate water and occasional pruning, there's really nothing else that needs to be done to assure flowers each year. Wish I had more insight to share!