The Q&A Archives: Crape Myrtle in container

Question: I am from NC and now live in Minnesota. I LOVE Crape Myrtles and would love to be able to keep one here. If I planted it in a large container - what would I need to do in the winter (zone 4)? I know it needs to come inside - but would it survive in the garage? How much sun does it need in the winter? Thanks in advance.

Answer: As much as I'd like to encourage you to keep a crape myrtle alive in Minnesota, I'm afraid you'll be sadly disappointed. Spending the winter in a garage just won't provide the necessary environment for a crape myrtle to flourish. Now if you had a greenhouse, where you could control the amount of light, humidity and temperature, you might be successful. Wish I had better news for you!