The Q&A Archives: Ornamental Grasses

Question: I cut down my ornamental grasses in the spring. They have not started to grow. No new growth at all. What did I do wrong? I'm in zone 7.

Answer: You may not have done anything wrong. Some ornamental grasses are not winter hardy in your region and should be considered annuals that need to be replaced each year; others are winter hardy but can succumb to soggy winter soils. So, if your grasses are not showing any signs of growth at all, I think it is safe to conclude that they did not survive your winter weather. As you choose new grasses, make sure they are perennial and allow the foliage to remain all winter long (to help protect the roots of the plants). Cut them back or comb out the dead foliage early in the spring to make room for new growth.

Best wishes with your garden!