The Q&A Archives: Shade loving shrubs

Question: The builder planted hollys along the front of my house. I wanted some color and planted several azaleas. The azaleas have never bloomed. Now that I lived through 4 seasons I wonder if the area I planted them in is too moist and sunless.

Can you recommend some shrubs for this area? something that likes damp feet and little sun but blooms and grows only 2 ft high and say 2 ft wide?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Answer: Here are a few suggestions for small plants that do well in shade and moist soil: Andromeda polifolia (Bog rosemary); Hosta ; Jasminum nudiflorum (Winter Jasmine); Liriope spicata (Creeping Liriope - Lilyturf); and Xanthorhiza simplicissima
(Yellowroot). I'd move the azaleas to a site that receives at least morning sunshine. Best wishes with your garden!