The Q&A Archives: Purple Queen Bougainvillea - tiny green leaves

Question: Last year July 2005, I planted it in the backyard ground against the bricks white fence. They look great with flowers blooming. Heavy rain from spring till summer. Now I notice almost all the flowers/tiny branches got dried up like white papers and fell apart. All grew 1/2

Answer: I'm concerned that you may be overwatering your bougainvillea and stressing it out a bit too much. Bougainvillea grows best in full sunshine, in rich, well-draining soils. It appreciates a deep soaking once or twice a week. Bougainvilleas have a specific cycle - they grow, bloom, then rest for a few weeks before they begin the cycle all over again. It generally takes about 6 weeks for the plants to go through their cycle so you can expect flowering to take place every 4-6 weeks. Small leaves indicate a stress. I'd cut back on frequency of watering, applying a deep soaking once each week (check the soil moisture level after 3-4 days; if it is still moist 3" beneath the surface, you won't need to water for another 3-4 days. If it is dry, it's time to water.

Once you change your watering habits I think you'll see an improvement in the growth of your bougainvillea.