The Q&A Archives: oenothera berlandieri (eveing primrose)

Question: I planted oenothera berlandieri this spring in 4 different sunny locations of my yard. In all 4 places the plants seems to be thriving and spreading but only 1 location is consistenly producing a few flowers. Other 3 produce only 1, 2, or no blooms. What can I do to encourage these areas to bloom?

Answer: Wendy,

The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the plants are not getting enough sun. For good bloom that plant needs a lot of sun exposure. You indicated the area was sunny so if you feel this is not the cause then I suggest you give the plants another year and perhaps next spring/summer's bloom production will be better. The plants don't need much water and fertilizer is generally not needed either although if the plants are not looking very healthy, perhaps a light application (1/2 cup per 50 square feet) would be in order.