The Q&A Archives: japanese maple crimson queen

Question: Hi,

I bought one of your 10 gallon crimson queen japanese maples from one of the retail stores here. All my japanese maples are in containers(where I plan to keep them, since I do not have a place to plant them in the ground) with a soil mix of 50% inorganic and 50% pine bark. This mix has excellent drainage and I do not have to worry about overwatering etc.
I noticed that some of your maples in the larger containers are Balled and Burlapped(B&B) with what appears to be native soil. The 10 gallon tree that I bought does not appear to be B&B, what kind of soil mixture is it in? Should I repot it in spring next year with my soil mix since I am planning to grow this in the container indefinitely?
Or do you recommend that I keep it in the soil it is in? if so how long before I need to repot it and give it fresh soil?

Answer: James,

Keep it in the container for now. When you do repot it (perhaps mid fall would be a good time as the stress on the plant is less) scratch some soil or growing medium away from the outside of the root ball and create a blended zone with the original growing
mix and your container mix. They should do fine. Repot when you feel the container size is limiting growth and requireing too frequent of a watering schedule.