The Q&A Archives: Lena Scotch Broom

Question: I was given this plant recently and wonder how it should be cared for. I have planted it with a southwestern exposure. Does it need to be pruned at all and, if so, when and how much?
Thank you very much.
Carole Livingston

Answer: Cytisus x `Lena` (Dallimorei hybrid) needs full sun so your southwestern exposure should be fine. It also requires a very well drained location -- sandy soil or on a slope is best. It does well in lean soil, meaning not very fertile, so in average soil you would not need to fertilize it. Since you are gardening in zone 6A (this plant is hardy into zone 6) you will possibly see some winter damage on the plant by spring. You will need to trim it back to remove the winter damage. If additional pruning is needed, do so right after it blooms. Keep in mind too these plants are naturally a bit rough looking and are also not usually terribly long lived. On the other hand they are lovely in bloom -- enjoy!