The Q&A Archives: Why do my Hydrandeas have no colorful heads

Question: I have beautiful hydrandeas that we bought several years ago and put on the east side of our house. Eash year I cut them back in the late fall all the way down to the ground. The plants have never produced the big flowers that I associate with hydrandeas. The leaves are beautiful and green and the plants are healthy, but never any of the heads of flowers. Ifs there something I can do? I don't remember teh variety, but I do remember that the photos showed the plants with big colorful heads. Please give me some helpful advice.
Ricky St. John
Lenexa, KS

Answer: These hydrangeas bloom on old wood that grew the previous year. By pruning them down in the fall, you are removing the flowering stems for the following year. I would suggest you avoid pruning them this year (also avoid pruning in spring or early summer) and see if you get blooms next summer.