The Q&A Archives: Non- flowering Dark Knight Blue beard

Question: In 2004 Ipurchased 4 flowering Dark Night Bluebeard (Caryopteris clandonensis).Following the instructions, I trimmed them after flowering. In 2005 they came back with many blooms, looking much like the previous year.I trimmed them again in 2005 after flowering. In 2006 I fertilized them per the instructions. They came back with vigorous growth but no flowers, not one. WHERE DID I GO WRONG.

Thank you,
Ken Zaun

Answer: Sometimes the weather delays the flowering, just as it can cause tomatoes to set and ripen later in some years than others. I suspect that is what has happened this year, they are just late. It is also possible that if you overfertilized and applied excess nitrogen, they are putting on vegetative growth instead of flowers. But if they seem healthy overall, I think it is just a matter of time.