The Q&A Archives: Alfalfa pellets in garden

Question: Would it be beneficial to add alfalfa pellets to the soil in my flower garden? If so how much should be added and at what time of the year?

Answer: I have heard some gardeners recommend using alfalfa pellets as an organic source of nutrients including nitrogen and potassium plus minors. Sometimes it is recommended to add them to the compost pile for example, or to topdress around plants, or as an ingredient for a tea to be sprayed on the foliage. To use alfalfa pellets, try perhaps a cup (some sources recommend as much as five cups) per rose bush worked lightly into the soil every other month or so. You could also use alfalfa meal and water it in which would be less inviting to neighborhood bunnies and other animals. You could do this at any time of year the soil is not frozen, although spring to midsummer would be best.