The Q&A Archives: Low Chill Lilacs

Question: I am looking for lilacs that would do well in Nashville climate given our hot summers and relatively mild winters. I have read about

Answer: Miss Kim may not perform as well in your area as some of the following low-chill lilacs:
Descanso Hybrids
'Angel White': Mildly fragrant white flowers develop on the upper branches of a thick, bushy shrub that grows 8 to 10 feet tall. Selected and introduced from Lammerts' original plants by Monrovia Nursery.

'California Rose': Mildly fragrant medium pink flowers appear in profusion on a vigorous shrub that grows 8 to 10 feet tall.

'Lavender Lady': Lavender flowers with good fragrance develop on a shrub about 8 to 10 feet tall. 'F. K. Smith' and 'Sylvan Beauty' are similar, but the flowers on 'F. K. Smith' are a bit lighter on an 8- to 10-foot-tall plant, and 'Sylvan Beauty' has pinker, more open blooms on a 10- to 12-foot-tall plant.

'Blue Skies': Very fragrant lavender flowers appear on an 8-foot-tall plant. Heavy bloomer.

'Esther Staley' (Syringa hyacinthiflora): Very showy, pure pink flowers with good fragrance develop on rounded shrubs that grow to about 8 feet tall.

'Excel' (S. hyacinthiflora): Light lavender flowers with good fragrance appear on rounded shrubs 8 feet or taller. Massive bloomer. Blooms earlier than the others listed (late February or early March).

Hope one of these appeals to you!