The Q&A Archives: Plant Identification

Question: I purchased a plant from a garden center last year and it has reseeded itself. I really like this plant but I don't know what it is called. It is about 12-18

Answer: It's really hard to identify a plant without seeing it, even with your detailed description. I wonder, though, if it might be Datura? Datura produces large, white, trumpet-shaped flowers which bloom March through November. The corollas are up to 6 inches long, have 5 teeth, and are often tinged with purple or lavender around the margins. This flower opens after dusk and closes by mid-morning of the following day.

This stout, branched, sprawling perennial has long, gray-green, ovate (tear-shaped) leaves up to 6 inches long, which are covered by tiny smooth hairs. It may grow up to 2 feet high. The seed pods are round, thorny and walnut-sized. The fruit hangs down on the branch and the seedpod can explode when it is ripe, sending seeds everywhere.