The Q&A Archives: how to cut back a bouganvilla

Question: Exactly how do you cut back a bouganvilla to let it bloom again and yet not destroy it. I am not very familiar with how to cut back plants. My bouganvilla has just had a big growth spurt and is now beginning to flower again.(this is it's second summer, it is kept indoors in a swimming pool area. The temp is 87 - 93 degrees year round, with controlled humidity)

Answer: When the blooming slows down, cut it back. Cut by at least half, or more if desired. Make each cut just outside a sidebranch or node. Head back the longest branches and then any side branches that are out of proportion. You can also pinch the new growth to keep it really dense. Trimming will not destroy it, it should respond with denser growth and thus more blooms in the next cycle. Trimming also helps control the overall size. It sounds like you have the perfect place to keep it!