The Q&A Archives: Daisy Gardenias

Question: I planted several gardenias next to each other several months ago. They seemed to die off at first and then they came back (I started watering with Miracle Grow Acid Food 1x/wk and Root stimulator 1x/week) and they did well for a while. Now, several of them have turned yellow/brown and lost most of their leaves (but they are still alive - - the branches are green and new leaves are coming out). I have also been watering almost everyday in this heat. One of the gardenias is doing OK now while 2 of them are definitely doing poorly (but attempting a come back). They get sun from noon till dark and I have treated them all the same. Why are they such high maintenance plants? Am I

Answer: Krista,

Your plants may be suffering from excess soil moisture (soggy soil) or from a lack of moisture for periods of time. Try to keep the soil evenly moist. Those plants love a morning sun and bright afternoon shade location but are fairly adaptable within reason. I suggest you watch the soil moisture and as they get established they should be more resilient.