The Q&A Archives: Shade TreePlanting Tips

Question: I am looking for a shade tree that will not grow beyond 25 feet. I would prefer something where the roots grow down more than out. The ground that it would be planted in would be clay. Any suggestions for trees? Any tips for planting the tree (how deep, add extra soil, tips for keeping it straight, etc.)? The tree will be planted on a sloping part of the lawn and I do not want it to appear crooked. Also, the tree probably would be planted only 15 feet from the house.

Answer: David,

One tree to consider is the Lacey Oak if the area is well drained.

Another might be a large type crape myrtle such as Natchez, trained to a single trunk. The following web site has info on the proper way to plant a tree:

I also suggest you contact your local Texas Cooperative Extension Office to speak with the Horticulturist about what trees they recommend for your area. Their contact info is:

306 N Loop 288, Suite 222
Denton, TX 76209-4887
Phone: 940-349-2880