The Q&A Archives: Lithocarpus

Question: WIll you please give me more information on the lithocarpus that you grow? I am a landscape architect and might like to use it for a job in Arcadia, CA. Does it have a rounded canopy shape, is it messy etc. Thanks, Sally Farnum

Answer: Lithocarpus densiflorus
Genus: Lithocarpus Species: densiflorus
Common name(s): Tanbark Oak .
An evergreen tree; slow growing. The leaves are green on upper surface, fuzzy on lower surface. Native from Ventura Co. to southern Oregon. A very beautiful tree. The leached acorns were ground into flour by the Indians (tastes like bitter oatmeal). A very neat tree for formal wood gardens (such as a redwood garden with benches and shade loving perennials). It has an oval to rounded form; 25-30' tall and 15' wide. It is evergreen and grows in full sun to partial shade. It has good heat tolerance.