The Q&A Archives: no flowers

Question: I have five (5) crepe myrple that were planted last year,and all flowered. this year they are growing beautiful,but with no flowers.
Is there a reason for this ,and can you tell me what i might do to get them to flower.
thank you

Answer: Since your plants bloomed well last year, they must be planted in a favorable location. They may simply be late in blooming due to the weather -- they need hot sunny weather to encourage vigorous growth and blooming. And, although somewhat drought tolerant, they also need adequate soil moisture in order to bloom their best. Pruning at the wrong time can also reduce or delay or even stop blooming. These bloom on new growth of the season, so any pruning done in summer will affect the bloom production. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.