The Q&A Archives: Luna Red Hibiscus

Question: I just purchased a luna red hibiscus and was wondering if this type of hibiscus is the hardy type that can be left outside during the winter months. I planted it about two weeks ago, and some of the leaves are turning yellow. Is this normal after planting it after a few weeks?

Answer: Hibiscus 'Luna Red' Hibiscus moschuetos is very dramatic and impressive. Many eye-catching 7- to 8-inch showy blooms on big, bushy, well-branched 2- to 3-foot tall plants. This plant, also called rose mallow, is perennial in zones 5-9. It is heat and cold and drought tolerant, once established. It grows best in full sun.

Transplant shock can cause some yellowing of the leaves but your new hibiscus should adapt within a few weeks and grow well for you. Enjoy!