The Q&A Archives: drainage

Question: The street I live on is not level. When it rains the rainwater immediately flows toward the front of my house from across the street. The water accumulates rather quickly and at one point it was about a foot deep. How can I prevent the water from accumulating in my front yard? I have a rather small front yard and was considering using landscaping blocks to make a sort of retaining wall but then I would lose access to my front walkway, porch and front door. My house has settled and is uneven. The back of the house is level but the front slopes downward. I feel this may also be caused by the water accumulation or it is possible it is from mine subsidence since it is a common problem in our area. Any suggestions?

Answer: To be honest with you, I don't think there is anything you can do to stop the flow of rainwater from across the street. It sounds like a problem for your local county or city street department. They need to divert the water, either with a new drain or by unclogging a blocked storm drain. I'd give the county (city) public works department a call and register your concern. Let's hope they can alleviate the problem before another storm arrives!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Captivating Caladiums"