The Q&A Archives: Identifying a plant

Question: I have a plant that I'd like to identify. A neighbor gave it to me years ago and she called it a magic plant, I think. It has purple sort of trumpet shaped flowers and the underside of the leaves are purple as well. It has corms (probably not spelled correctly) and each winter I bring it into the garage and put it away and don't water it. Next spring I bring it out and water it and it begins to send up little plants. Any ideas?

Answer: Trying to identify a plant without seeing it is nearly impossible. I can only offer an educated guess based upon your description. The first plant that comes to mind is Cyclamen. These plants almost always have a purple-red coloring on the undersides of the leaves. The leaves are heart-shaped and green on the upper side.

Hope this is your plant!