The Q&A Archives: Pool side Planting

Question: I have a swimming pool and at the edge has 3 medium lava rocks with a 3.6 x 2.6 planting area by it and I'm looking for a plant (with flowers preferably) that would grow there. It's in full sun all day.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance, Kathy Bryant-Rock

Answer: There are a number of heat tolerant plants you might consider. Lantana is a trailing plant with flowers in yellow or orange all summer long; Two of the mosty widely plants spring-blooming rock garden plants are Saponaria ocymoides (Bouncing Bet) and Cephalophyllum (ice plant). When these plants are in full bloom it's difficult to see the foliage. Flowers are daisy-shaped on both. Ice plant foliage is succulent and 3-sided; foliage on Saponaria is dark green, long and narrow. You might also consider wooly thyme, which will hug the ground and creep up the sides of the rock. Hope at least one of these suggestions is just right for your rock garden.