The Q&A Archives: Steep slope gardening

Question: How do we get control of red mud runoff? Our house was just constructed at the bottom of a very steep slope, with steep slope from the house down to the lake. Sunny slopes with little shade, irrigation system is now installed. What groundcovers are suggested to stop erosion?

Answer: Erosion control includes plants such as hortizonal junipers and and ground-hugging plants such as wooly thyme. These will take a few years to fill in, though, so you may want to protect the slope with weed-barrier. Your local Cooperative Extension office will have publications dealing with erosion control, as well as a list of plants suitable for your growing region. You'll find them listed in the white pages under County offices. Best wishes with your new landscape!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"